Carrot Ginger Soup with Apple & Mint RaitaOn November 26, 2017 by Hangar5
Today I want to share with you a soup recipe that is combined with Apple and Mint Raita, these are the best combination that is served in our Hangar 5 Restaurant.
- 2 pounds peeled and rough chopped Carrots
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ¼ cup minced Shallots
- 1 medium size Yellow Onion Julienne
- 1 tablespoon ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced Cardamom
- 5 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Carrot Juice
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco
- Salt and White pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Raita:
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup small diced Granny Smith Apples
- 1 tablespoon Mint, chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro, minced
- ½ teaspoon Lime Juice
- ½ teaspoon toasted Black Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon toasted Cumin
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- On a half sheet pan or a roasting pan, roast carrots with 2 tablespoons of olive oil till tender at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes. Then set aside.
- In a medium-size soup pan over medium-high heat, add butter and remaining olive oil and sauté garlic, ginger shallots and onion till soft and tender, about 8-10 minutes (try not to get any color them.)
- Add cardamom and cook for one more minute. Add carrots to the onion mixture and cover with carrot juice, vegetable stock and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are super tender.
- In a blender puree the soup in batches until very smooth and adding back to the pot.
- Once the soup is all pureed adjust seasoning with Tabasco, salt, and white pepper.
- Serve and garnish with Raita.
Procedure for Raita:
In a small metal bowl mix yogurt, apple, lime juice, cilantro, mint, cumin and mustard seed; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and place refrigerate until ready to use.